So…let me talk to ya!
This is not a post bashing modern anime fans; nor is it a post bashing the community, the industry, or conventions. This is however my thoughts and opinions on how I feel as a 30-year veteran of anime. I’m a member of the ‘Old Guard Anime Fandom’ (O.G.A.F.), and I’m from an era where access to the medium was not as widespread as it is today. I come from an era where it costs $150 to buy 24 VHS tapes of the first and second seasons of Ocean Dub Dragon Ball Z. I come from an era where Yaoi Paddles roamed the halls of convention centers, and people shouting outdated memes were the norm. Lately, I feel like myself and many other fans of the O.G.A.F., have felt the brunt of the shift in the atmosphere.
Many of us know it as ‘The Great Shift’.

Since this shift, a lot of things have changed in the anime community, as well as the industry and the convention scene. Many conventions have become more industry-driven as opposed to fan-driven. The con Runners want to appeal to a wider audience; a.k.a. A more ‘Family-Friendly’ audience, which caused many core members of said conventions to pull out and not attend them. Not only that, but this shift has drawn the attention of a group of individuals, who do NOT have the anime community’s best interest at heart. In fact they DON’T EVEN LIKE anime, but pull up to mock others who do, just for the sake of clicks and giggles!
Okay, I’m not bashing ALL modern fans, but I’m calling out the ones who are contributing to this behavior. For the rest of us who just wanna enjoy being an anime/gaming nerd, it sucks having to deal with petty incidents like this. I come from an era where if you had a disagreement about something in a show, you talked about it and in many cases, agreed to disagree. Afterwards you dapped it up and moved on. NOW IN 2026, if you have that SAME disagreement with modern fans, you’re getting DEATH THREATS in your DM’s!
The older I get, the less I wanna even be around any of this…

POC Cosplayers, I feel ya! Do NOT even get me started on how some modern fans, treat Black Anime Fans as well as Black Cosplayers. I say this, because I’ve had a few shots come my way, and I only do partial cosplay. I can go on and on about the many incidents that have happened in the community whenever black anime fans are involved. Honestly, its tiresome!
Maybe that’s just it. As a member of the O.G.A.F. We NEED a NEW castle! A NEW space to call home that is created BY US, FOR US! No minors, No clout chasers, and NO PDFs! It’s time we have a space for Old Guard Fans, in fact its time we have conventions for members of the O.G.A.F.! I know some are gonna say that it feels like I’m alienating New Gen Fans, but ya’ll got enough conventions and spaces to go to. We need a place where ‘Oldtakus’ and ‘Unctakus’ can crash, watch old school anime, and party! The way it used to be…
I’m working on a few things in regards to that with several friends (a.k.a. a NEW Convention for OLD Guard Anime Fans), and if you feel that the Old Guard needs a New Castle, then follow us on the blog and social media platforms! Also follow Yours Truly on IG (as Avidd Minddset), to see where the next DJ & Cosplay Afterparties will be.
I hope things get better within this space, but I’m not holding my breath. So Old Guard Fans, lets put our resources together, and make something for us that we can enjoy!
Old Guard Founder!
Out!
from D&A Anime Blog https://ift.tt/Bfyr9Nc
https://ift.tt/EsImQ9W
Thanks for reading: O.G. Founder: The Old Guard Needs A New Castle!, Sorry, my English is bad:)